Sunday, April 06, 2008

FunSongs workshops for Riga teachers

Teacher training session with Charles Goodger

Since coming back to Riga from a trip to Bologna to meet with CAIL, there have been several developments in my plan to promote FunSongs in the Baltic.
First last Friday I agreed with Signe Neimane and Guntaris Helmanis of Riga Education Council to hold a series of teacher training session for Latvian primary school teachers of English . These sessions will conists of three 9-hour modules for 75 teachers and will take place at the teacher training centre in Kaniero iela in June. There I can familiarize teachers with the FunSongs Approach which they will be able to start using in class from the start of the new 2007-2008 school year.


Last week I had a meeting with some teachers at the International School of Riga (attended by my seven-year-old son Sammy). They have decided to start using FunSongs packages in their classes in the next few weeks starting with "The Ladybird Song" package.
On Tuesday I will finally meet Iveta VÄ«tola the Longman agent to discuss the Latvian education system and possible areas of collaboration.
I'm also looking forward to meeting Silvija Andernovics current president of Late Latvia's professional association of English teachers. She has just retruned from an interational Tesol conference in New York.